August 2010. Sweat it all out!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Because Blogging about it makes it REAL: Becky WILL become a RUNNER!

7 years ago (no exaggeration) I bought a pair of Nike Shox in the hopes that they would turn me into a runner. Instantly. They didn't.

5 years ago, I shattered my own personal world record by running a whopping....TWO miles.

Being a runner is HARD.

It's time for a new goal. It's time to do something I have always wanted to do but haven't had the courage or energy to do. It's time to run a 5K!

A 5K, roughly 3 miles in American speak, is something that FIT people can run without breaking a sweat, or leg. Something that people do to warm up for a LONG run. Something that I never could imagine myself doing.

I am scared. I am terrified. I SIGNED UP!

This 5K is a part of a weekend of events in GORGEOUS Big Sur, CA including the half marathon that my (as mentioned before) FIT friends are running in. I will be there to cheer them on as I hope at least one will be there to catch me as I throw myself across the finish line!

http://www.bigsurhalfmarathon.org/Event_Information/courseinfo5k.htm

This will be the longest distance I have EVER run. I am determined to make this 5K my betch, to run it the entire time and to even clock a decent time out of it....well, for me anyway.

**Today was day 1 of Treadmill training (I haven't been on one for longer than 10 minutes in - see above about running two miles 5 YEARS ago) and it was VERY successful in my own humble opinion! I ran ONE WHOLE MILE straight without wanting to pass out and die. I even....good gracious....ENOJOYED it? Could have been the hot man bent over the stationary bike in front of me, or the Tiesto tracks in my headphones but I was filled with euphoria and endorphins and the confidence that I can do this! I have high hopes of mastering the treadmill and then hitting the pavement along the Great Highway of San Francisco as I progress.

I WILL be a runner!

3 comments:

  1. that is AWESOME! I ran my first mile on the treadmill post ankle surgery last week :) i felt the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Becky. You are doing great. Working up to a 5K would be awesome. I'm a slow runner, but let me know if you ever want to go for a run in Golden Gate Park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Becky !
    We think you are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete